The rise of the “Birchbox of” model
In 2012, it became popular to offer monthly low-cost sample mailers, made popular by Birchbox which sends out a monthly sampler of beauty and grooming products. Foodies quickly clamored for similar services, so companies like Graze which sends out healthy snacks. Even Walmart Labs got in on the craze, sending out boxes of organic goods that can be found on store shelves, to expand shoppers’ awareness of healthy product lines.
Sample boxes via mail require little commitment or money from consumers, and it has become a popular way to discover new products and get a fun surprise every month, thus dozens upon dozens of companies have gotten in on the action.
Over on ProductHunt today, a list is growing of companies that observe the “Birchbox of” business model, shipping out monthly goods. Below are 20 of the most interesting options consumers have as of today:
- Loot Crate – geek and gamer gear
- Happy Crate – cannabis accessories, snacks
- The Feed – food, fuel for athletes
- Pley – rentable Legos
- Ship & Dip – condiments, yo
- Bombfell – men’s fashion items
- RocksBox – designer jewelry
- Handmade Tea – handmade tea
- Ag Local – organic, pasture-raised beef
- Nootrobox – nootropics (smart drugs)
- Pullist – comics/graphic novels
- Stick in a Box – beef frickin’ jerky
- Vinyl Me, Please – monthly vinyl record club
- Flaviar – premium spirits
- Nature Box – healthy snacks
- Pijon Box – care packages for college kids
- Agent Ribbit – science experiments for kids
- Sockscribe Me – socks, socks, socks!
- Pact Coffee AND Craft Coffee – get quality brew sent to you
As the “Netflix of” companies popped up, so have the “Birchbox of,” with consumer demand shifting toward low cost, low commitment purchase options that allow them to discover new goods they otherwise wouldn’t have. Once upon a time, the Fruit of the Month was popular, and we consider this a lower cost, more interesting reincarnation of that subscription model.
If you’re a brand looking to offer a monthly subscription of your product, check out Cratejoy.